Leopold "Butters" Stotch
|Aliases||Inspector Butters, Marjorine, Mantequilla, Paladin Butters the Merciful, Professor Chaos, Boy with Balls on his Chin*|
|Religion||Roman Catholic , Temporary: Blaintologist*|
|Voiced by||Matt Stone|
|First Appearance||Cartman Gets an Anal Probe|
- 1 About
- 2 DNA Overview
- 3 Memorable Quotes
- 4 Life Lessons
- 5 Design
- 6 Main Alter Egos
- 7 Other Alter Egos/Outfits/Counterparts
- 7.1 Season 3
- 7.2 Season 4
- 7.3 Season 5
- 7.4 Season 6
- 7.5 Season 7
- 7.6 Season 8
- 7.7 Season 9
- 7.8 Season 11
- 7.9 Season 12
- 7.10 Season 13
- 7.11 Season 14
- 7.12 Season 15
- 7.13 Season 16
- 7.14 Season 17
- 7.15 Season 18
- 7.16 Season 19
- 7.17 Season 20
- 7.18 Season 21
- 7.19 Season 22
- 7.20 Season 23
- 7.21 Season 24
- 7.22 Season 25
- 7.23 SOUTH PARK: EVENTS
- 7.24 Phone Destroyer
- 8 Family
- 9 Romantic Relationships
- 10 Best Friends
- 11 Close Friends
- 12 Groundings
- 13 Groups
- 14 Residence
- 15 Favorite Places
- 16 Featured Episodes
- 17 Video Games
- 18 Behind The Scenes
- 18.1 From The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers (613)
- 18.2 From AWESOM-O (802)
- 18.3 From Butters' Bottom Bitch (1309)
- 18.4 Production Art: Pimpin' Signs
- 18.5 From Let Go, Let Gov (1701)
- 18.6 From "Black Friday" (1707)
- 18.7 From A Song of Ass and Fire (1708)
- 18.8 From Go Fund Yourself (1801)
- 18.9 From The Cissy (1803)
- 18.10 From The Magic Bush (1805)
- 19 Bonus Factoids
Butters is the boys' innocent little classmate. He is by far the most naive and well-natured of the 4th graders, and for this, he is often shit on. He's been forced to put balls on his chin, get liposuction, been locked in a bomb shelter for weeks, and dressed up like a dog with a ninja star in his eye. Additionally, he is notorious for being grounded far more often than any other kid, often times for circumstances beyond his own control.
Despite his good nature, he isn't above joining in on bullying others, such as the time when he taunted Kyle for being last on the cutest boys list.
He briefly explored his feminine alter-ego as Marjorine. And he absolutely loves Bennigan's.
After being fired as the boys' 4th friend, Butters turned to his dark side and created the villainous alter-ego Professor Chaos. As Chaos, he teamed with his loyal companion General Disarray (Dougie) to help bring chaos to the world that shunned him.
You’re incredibly imaginative – and more than a little naive. Even though you’re perceived as a good person who always does what you’re told, you definitely have a dark side; it’s just a lot lighter than other people’s dark sides. People with Butters DNA are taken advantage of easily and grounded often.
- "Oh hamburgers!" (Pre-School)
- "Loo Loo Loo, I've got some apples. Loo Loo Loo you've got some too..." (Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset)
- "I hate my stupid face." (How To Eat With Your Butt)
- "Or maybe we should stand like this with our wieners poking through the back of our legs, you know, give her a nice fruit bowl!" (Fourth Grade)
- "I'm so glad you came into my life, AWESOM-O. You're the best friend a guy could have." (AWESOM-O)
- "I have what's called a 'Heshiated Colon' which means I sometimes can't control my sphincter." (AWESOM-O)
- "Wul, I'm just a typical little girl... I like... Dancin' and... and ponies and... Gettin' my snootch pounded on Friday nights." (Marjorine)
- "Yeah, but I'm playing Hello Kitty Island Adventure!" (Make Love, Not Warcraft)
- "Do you know what I am saying?" (Butters' Bottom Bitch)
- "You were MADE for the playground, bitch. You should be out there working. Don't you wanna new lunchbox? Nice new coat? I can get all that for you bitch." (Butters' Bottom Bitch)
- "When was the last time you went to your local DMV?" (Let Go, Let Gov)
- "Oh great Jesus, son of Mary, wife of Joseph what are we gonna do? Oh sweet Joseph husband to Mary but not father of sweet Jesus. Oh sweet Jesus, Mary mother of Jesus wife of Joseph father to Mary." (Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub)
- "Wieners out!" (Wieners Out)
- "Now get the fuck out of my house." (Oh, Jeez)
- "I'm a changed man." (Members Only)
- "Suicide Squad sucked!" [[[Franchise Prequel]])
- "My Dad always said, “It’s ok to lose. But if you don’t try, well then, you’re grounded, mister.””
- "If I’m bi-curious and I’m somehow made from God, then I figure God might be a little bi-curious himself!”
- "I'd rather be a cryin' little pussy than a faggy Goth kid."
Here's Butters' biggest design changes throughout the show's run.
Main Alter Egos
Alter egos that have appeared numberous times in-show and/or other official media.
Other Alter Egos/Outfits/Counterparts
Next to Cartman, Butter has the second most alter egos in the show. He has so many that some people think that he has a multiple personality disorder.
SOUTH PARK: EVENTS
Aunt & Uncle
Past Love Interests
Butters' closest friendships are those with Eric Cartman and Kenny McCormick.
The foundation of Butters and Cartman’s relationship has largely been driven by Butters’ kind, earnest desire to listen to his problems, comfort him after his failures, help him with any scheme he suggests and allow himself to be manipulated in unspeakable ways" Butters have a willingness to believe and trust everything Eric says, he likes to believe what Eric says because "he is always willing to support him in everything he does".
At the beginning of the series, Cartman, like the other boys, didn't like Butters very much, and they used Butters to tease, but over time, Butters ceases to be the target of jokes, and becomes Cartman's most important ally in his plans, and your best friend to console him and give advice, Cartman was the only one who maintained a close friendship with Butters while the rest maintained indifference or something further away with Butters, Cartman personally apologizes to Butters: "Butters, I'm sorry if i ever did anything to hurt you" and Butters forgives Eric without hesitation and he feel really shy, as it does on other occasions, he always ends up forgiving Cartman.
Full episodes revolve around the partnership of the two characters, with Butters as Cartman's right hand man, or just showing up to console him and give him advice, at times like Butters going to Eric's house or the Hospital for that, or Cartman himself going to Butters' house to let off steam.
The two have gradually have developed a genuine friendship over the years and Butters’ naivete seems to have invited Cartman to trust and confide in him in ways he rarely has with the other boys. Butters has picked up a number of habits from Cartman both positive and negative.
Kenny's relationship with Butters although there is almost no interaction has been close as well, often acting like a big brother towards him (despite being younger.) They both usually get along well, and Butters even drew him a picture of them in an airplane together when Kenny was dying. Their friendship truly evolved in "Going Native" though, when Butters admitted that Kenny's the only kid at school that has any dignity and isn't "fake or stuck-up." In the same episode, Kenny also helped him board his plane to Hawaii, and goes through thick and thin to help Butters get his Hapa Noa, so he'll return to his cheery self. He can also be seen holding Butters' hand throughout most of the episode (much like he does with his younger sister, Karen.)
These characters usually interact with Butters exclusively at school. He seems to be on good terms with all of them, but doesn't have any special relationships with any of them.
Butters' relationships with these characters have never been quite clear, and his mutual feelings about them is usually up for debate amongst fans.
- For making a "funny face" in his school photo. (How to Eat with Your Butt)
- The Boys performed liposuction on Butters. (Jared Has Aides)
- While Stephen and Linda were at work, Cartman pretends to be Butters, on the phone, and calls them foul names. (Jared Has Aides)
- Appearing on the Maury Povich Show with balls on his chin, which caused his grandmother to suffer a stroke. (Freak Strike)
- locking himself (along with the boys) inside Stan's room for over 75 hours with $800 worth of Veal in protest on killing the baby calves. (Fun with Veal)
- For running away from Paris Hilton even though she "bought" him for $250,000,000. (Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset)
- For attempting to hide in the house to avoid Trent Boyett. (Pre-School)
- Eric Cartman trashes Butters' room and Butters blames it on a ghost. (The Death of Eric Cartman)
- Saving Imaginationland when he was supposed to be helping his mother clean out the basement. (Imaginationland, Episode III)
- His parents would ground him if it turned out he was the ugliest kid in class. He was number 11. (The List)
- Grounded because his father poured Rice a Roni in his coffee. (The Ungroundable)
- For "writing" the explicit novels, "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs" and "The Poop That Took a Pee. (The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs)
- Grounded for starting an Asian Turf war between Lu Kim and Junichi Takiyama owner of City Sushi. (City Sushi)
- Gets framed for a bank heist by one of Dr. Janus' multiple personalities. (City Sushi)
- Grounded for naively passing his semen as an "energy drink". (Sarcastaball)
- Punching Stephen Stotch in the balls. (Grounded Vindaloop)
- Using Facebook to spread false information. (Franchise Prequel)
- Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub (s03e08)
- Hooked on Monkey Fonics (s03e13)
- A Very Crappy Christmas (s04e17)
- How To Eat With Your Butt (s05e10)
- Butters' Very Own Episode (s05e14)
- Freak Strike (s06e01)
- Jared Has Aides (s06e02)
- Professor Chaos (s06e06)
- The Simpsons Already Did It (s06e07)
- The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers (s06e13)
- My Future Self 'n' Me (s06e16)
- Christian Rock Hard (s07e09)
- Casa Bonita (s07e11)
- Raisins (s07e14)
- Good Times With Weapons (s08e01)
- AWESOM-O (s08e02)
- You Got F'd in the A (s08e05)
- Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset (s08e12)
- The Death of Eric Cartman (s09e06)
- Marjorine (s9e09)
- Imaginationland (s11e10)
- Imaginationland, Part II (s11e11)
- Imaginationland, Part III (s11e12)
- Super Fun Time (s12e07)
- The Ungroundable (s12e14)
- Eat, Pray, Queef (s13e04)
- Butters' Bottom Bitch (s13e09)
- The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs (s14e02)
- Poor and Stupid (s14e08)
- City Sushi (s15e06)
- Last of the Meheecans (s15e09)
- 1% (s15e12)
- Butterballs (s16e05)
- Sarcastaball (s16e08)
- Going Native (s16e11)
- Obama Wins! (s16e14)
- Let Go, Let Gov (s17e01)
- A Song of Ass and Fire (s17e08)
- Titties and Dragons (s17e09)
- The Hobbit (s17e10)
- Go Fund Yourself (s18e01)
- The Magic Bush (s18e05)
- Grounded Vindaloop (s18e07)
- #HAPPYHOLOGRAMS (s18s10)
- Stunning and Brave (s19e01)
- Where My Country Gone? (s19e02)
- Safe Space (s19e05)
- Wieners Out (s20e04)
- Members Only (s20e08)
- Franchise Prequel (s21e04)
South Park: Let's Go Tower Defense Play!
Butters and Professor Chaos are both playable characters in the XBLA game, South Park: Let's Go Tower Defense Play!. Butters is unlocked after level four. Professor Chaos requires a secret code to unlock. Butters and Chaos have different special abilities.
- Butters - tap dances in a circle killing anyone that come near him
- Professor Chaos - Calls down lightning electrocuting enemies.
South Park: The Stick of Truth
As Court Paladin, it's his job to deliver the Wizard Kings' justice...and his mail. A noble and fair member of the Human faction, this Paladin also has the power to heal. Butters is a noble warrior of pure heart and mind. His holy power can smite the wicked and heal the wounded. And when his skills as a paladin aren’t enough, he also has the power of his alter-ego, Professor Chaos. Outside of combat, Butters can be commanded to heal injured allies.
- Born Victim - Butters is just so innocent he naturally makes people want to punch him. Enemies are twice as likely to attack him in combat.
- Hammer of Justice - Butters hurls his hammer at a single melee target, making them Pissed Off. Great against armor too.
- Healing Touch - Butters steels the New Kid’s resolve, restoring HP.
- Hammer of Storms - Butters smites all enemies in a column with massive shock damage.
- Professor Chaos - Butters transforms into the evil genius Professor Chaos and unleashes a random devastating attack.
Behind The Scenes
- Butters has been around since the pilot episode (Cartman Gets An Anal Probe), although he was mostly a background character, named Puff-Puff, for the first two seasons. His first breakout role was in the Season 3 episode Two Guys Naked In A Hot Tub. He's been a staple in South Park ever since...
- Butters was not a named character in South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut.
Below is a selection of kick-ass behind the scenes content, exclusively from South Park:
From The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers (613)
Character Art: Butters
This pose of Butters' reaching for his precious required a
special pose. Check out this old-school character design.
Character Art: Butters
Any alterations to a character, like this
filthy version of Butters, requires new art and poses.
From AWESOM-O (802)
Character Art: Suppository
Check out the old-school Character art created for this infamous scene.
From Butters' Bottom Bitch (1309)
Controversy Over Butters' 1st Kiss
This episode created a lot of fan controversy because -- despite what all the boys say -- Butters actually HAD been kissed by Rebecca (the home-schooled girl) back in Season 3's "Hooked on Monkey Phonics". Granted, she had just become a slut...
Character Art: Butters' Hair
Butters’ cute little combed-over hair from "Butters' Bottom Bitch" required totally new character art. You can see this art in action during the beginning of the episode, when he's preparing for his "first kiss".
Production Art: Pimpin' Signs
All the props and signs in the show are first designed by our Art Department, like these motivational pimpin’ signs. Do you know what I am saying?
Butters The Pimp
According to Matt and Trey: "There’s just nobody funnier to say really raw shit than Butters, because he’s just so cute. And obviously he doesn’t know what he’s saying."
Storyboard: Classroom Scene
Check out this storyboard from the classroom scene, where Butters is trying to convince Wendy she should be puttin' that mouth to work. The arrows usually indicate movement:
From Let Go, Let Gov (1701)
Butters' Pajamas Art
Even the slightest change to a character -- like Butters' pajamas and "prayer" pose -- require entirely new storyboards and designs from the art department.
Storyboard: Butters' Bedroom
After the script is written, the first step in production is having our Storyboard department create "boards". They used to be drawn by hand, but they are all done digitally now.
From "Black Friday" (1707)
Production Art: Round Table
This round table was a specialty prop. As you can see, the boys "wireframes" were used here for placement.
From A Song of Ass and Fire (1708)
Production Art: Butters' Sword Poses
This sword fight required special battle poses for Butters.
Production Art: Tracking Shot
Animators use cues within the storyboard for camera movement, like this tracking shot:
From Go Fund Yourself (1801)
Character Art: Butters' Redskins Sweater
From The Cissy (1803)
Character Art: Butters' Tutu
Butters got to rock a special "tutu" outfit for this montage…
From The Magic Bush (1805)
Character Art: Butters
This shot of Butters in bed required new poses.
- Butters' first line was "Me too!" in "Roger Ebert Should Lay Off the Fatty Foods". His voice, however, sounded very different from how it sounds nowadays, and a lot more like Stan's.
- Butters is revealed to have had a girlfriend from Michigan named "Carrie", as mentioned in "Toilet Paper".