- 1 About
- 2 Memorable Quotes
- 3 Life Lessons
- 4 Design
- 5 Main Alter Egos
- 6 Other Alter Egos/Outfits/Counterparts
- 7 Family
- 8 Romantic Relationships
- 9 Best Friend
- 10 Close Friends
- 11 Rivals
- 12 Groups
- 13 Residence
- 14 Featured Episodes
- 15 Bonus Factoids
- 16 Behind The Scenes
Tolkien is a member of the boy's 4th grade class. He is the richest kid in South Park and also one of the only black kids. In one instance, Cartman got arrested and sent to juvie hall after throwing a rock at Tolkien's head. Tolkien is also a very gifted singer and can play a mean bass guitar, (much to the dismay of Cartman's stereotyping). When he's not slapping the bass, however, he's teaming up with the infamous superhero squad Coon and Friends. His secret identity: "Tupperware!"
You’re calm, cool and collected. You have the pride of a lion and a heart of myrrh. People with Tolkien Black DNA have an artsy side, contrary to what others may think.
"JESSE JACKSON IS NOT THE EMPEROR OF BLACK PEOPLE!"
- "Yeah, and with Cartman's enormously fat ass, the boys are sure to win." (Cartman's Silly Hate Crime)
- "Please God, send more rich kids to my town..." (Here Comes the Neighborhood)
- "What?! We don't HAVE a bass guitar!" (Christian Rock Hard)
- "JESSE JACKSON IS NOT THE EMPEROR OF BLACK PEOPLE!" (With Apologies to Jesse Jackson)
- "I'm sorry, Kyle. I like girls." (Cartman Finds Love)
- "You made everyone think I'm a fucking patient zero!" (World War Zimmerman)
- "Five midgets spanking a man covered in Thousand Island dressing. Is that making love?"
Here's Tolkien's biggest design changes throughout the show's run.
Main Alter Egos
Alter egos that have appeared numberous times in-show and/or other official media.
Other Alter Egos/Outfits/Counterparts
EVENTS SOUTH PARK
The Fractured But Whole
Tolkien and Craig's friendship has been shown to be close over the years. Tolkien is the only member of Craig and Those Guys (besides Craig himself) to be in every incarnation of the group, whether they're playing Metrosexuals or Ninjas, or just hanging out. Tolkien’s bond with Craig also exists when the group is disbanded; for example, Craig was the only kid that Tolkien trusted enough to know about his true intentions of making a trashy reality show and keep them secret.
Tolkien is close with his fellow members of Craig and Those Guys, regularly acting as the 2nd main member of the group.
Tolkien and Kenny share many common interests, including, but not exclusive to, science fiction. They also seem to enjoy the concept of ninjas, and both started their own ninja club together. They also both share types of financial issues.
Tolkien has an extended group of friends that he hangs out with at school. He regularly catches up with them outside of school though, usually to see what crazy new thing has come to town, or to simply watch the newest Terrance & Phillip episode.
These characters usually interact with Tolkien exclusively at school. He seems to be on good terms with all of them, but doesn't have any special relationships with any of them.
Tolkien's relationships with these characters have never been quite clear, and his mutual feelings about them is usually up for debate amongst fans.
- Cartman's Silly Hate Crime (s04e01)
- Here Comes the Neighborhood (s05e12)
- The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers (s06e13)
- Christian Rock Hard (s07e09)
- Raisins (s07e14)
- Quest for Ratings (s08e11)
- Wing (s09e03)
- With Apologies to Jesse Jackson (s11e01)
- Coon 2: Hindsight (s14e11)
- Funnybot (s15e02)
- 1% (s15e12)
- Cartman Finds Love (s16e07)
- World War Zimmerman (s17e03)
- Much like Butters, Tolkien has actually been around as a background character since the pilot episode, "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe". His first big breakout role was in Season 4's "Cartman's Silly Hate Crime".
Tolkien vs. Cartman
Tolkien and Cartman have always had a love/hate relationship -- from the "hate crime" in Tolkien's first main episode ("Cartman's Silly Hate Crime") to their intense standoff in last season's "World War Zimmerman". Tolkien also kicked Cartman's ass in "Christian Rock Hard".
Behind The Scenes
- Tolkien is one of the few main [male] characters not voiced by Matt and Trey. His voice is provided by our Producer/Lead Storyboard Artist Adrien Beard.
- Below is a selection of kick-ass behind the scenes content, exclusively from South Park:
From "World War Zimmerman" (1703)
Fist Bump: Storyboard
After the script is written, the first step in our production process is creating storyboards. Here's a "board" of the fist bump scene, before it was animated bro.
"Patient Zero" Art
Here's a better look at the art for Cartman's "Patient Zero" sketch. All props used in the show are created by our Art Department.
From "Black Friday" (s17e07)
Production Art: Round Table
This round table was a specialty prop. As you can see, the boys "wireframes" were used here for placement.