Freemium Isn't Free
- 1 Broadcast Description
- 2 Synopsis
- 3 Memorable Quotes
- 4 Characters
- 5 Character Debuts
- 6 Locations
- 7 Behind The Scenes
- 8 Bonus Factoids
- 9 Easter Eggs
- 10 Season 18
Stan is addicted to the latest app to hit the market. Meanwhile, Terrance and Phillip aren’t feeling so good about the fortune they’re making on their new mobile game.
- "Yeah and the most unbelievable part. It's totally FREE! You should download it to your phone right now, I mean, come on, if it's free why wouldn't you?" Jimmy Valmer
- "YOU'VE COLLECTED TEN CANADIAN COINS! CONGRATULATIONS! HEY YOU'RE REALLY GOOD AT THIS, GUY!" (The Terrence & Phillip Mobile Game)
- "It's a figure of speech with crippled people. We'd say we lost an arm and a leg but they ain't worth much!" Jimmy Valmer
- "It's a simple cycle. A never ending loop based on RPGs. Explore, Collect, Spend, Improve. But whereas those just used the concept of XP or experience points, WE'VE introduced the idea of micropaying with money." Canadian Minister of Mobile Gaming
- "So, basically, the genes you got from your dad make you more LIKELY to have trouble with um, dopamine regulation and THAT'S why you need to kind of watch out for addictive stuff." Satan
- "You know they all do it and it's kind of my deal, I've gotta put temptation out there so people have free will and all that shit, but you know, everyone has their justification and thinks what they're doing is ok." Satan
- "No, see If something's addictive because it's FUN, that's one thing, but this is just blatant Skinner Box manipulation." Satan
- "Do you know what you've done to your grandson?! You infected HIM with your bullshit!" Randy Marsh
- "I'm gonna need to borrow your soul kid ,is that alright?" Satan
- "BEELZABOOT!" Canadian Devil
- "Stan, just because I make a good living with my music doesn't mean you can blow it all on CANADOUGH!" Randy Marsh
- "Alright. Alright, I never played it. I stay away from the stuff." Jimmy Valmer
- "You. Friends. Fun. Drink. Hot girls. YOU'RE hot. Drink more. Expensive cars. Ass. DRINK. Ass..."
- "Do you know how many songs I have to write to make back that much money?? Randy Marsh
- "YOU HATH SUMMONED THE PRINCE OF TEMPTATION FOR WHAT PURPOSE?? Satan
- "So you've got dopamine, right? That's the chemical released in your brain when you do something pleasurable..." Satan
- "Told ya. Kid's got demons. I don't do that." Randy Marsh
- "I shall return! Do not attempt to stop me!" Satan (Stan Marsh)
- "When the Prince signed the agreement to make a freemium game, he apparently made a deal with the Canadian Devil." Canadian Reporter
- "It's not drinking, it's called White Zinfandel Sipping Sprint and it's competitive. Get off your high fuckin' horse." Randy Marsh
- "I am not 'chugging beer' I'm SAMPLING a flight of gluten free German lagers with a French wine pairing. It's called a SMORGASVEIN and it's elegantly cultural." [[Randy]
- "I'm the Canadian devil, guy" Canadian Devil
Behind The Scenes
Check out the art made for this super-charged shot of Stan.
Character Art: Stan
This shows the production process, from storyboard to character art, for Satan's special poses.
Character Art: Satan
This is Satan's first episode appearance in 8 years. Check out his updated character art.
Art Department: Props
Anything that appears on a TV or phone screen in the show must first be mocked up & designed by the Art Dept:
Art Department: Doodles
Every whiteboard doodle was individually drawn out and approved, prior to animation.
Art Dept: Wine Cart
Art for Randy's "classy" wine cart
Storyboards are the first step in production (after script). Check out these "SMORGASVEIN"
This was the first scene that Trey wrote for this episode.
Character Art: Canadian Devil
Check out this character art for the Canadian Devil "Beelzaboot".
Location Art: Canada
Here's the art used while designing the "rebuilt Canada" background
- Where'd the idea come from? Matt & Trey: "After the success of Stick of Truth, several companies approached
- On early drafts of the script, this episode was originally titled "Micropay" & "Freedom Isn't Freemium".
- When making this show, the writers discussed the Pareto Principal (Matt's dad taught him about it). The Pareto Principal is the 80/20 principal. 80% of revenue comes from 20% of customers. The writers applied it to booze & Freemium games.
- Elements of the scene with Satan parody "Devil's Advocate". Trey loves this movie. He has seen it a million times.
Did you catch what was on the whiteboard in this scene?