|Dr. Alphonse Mephesto
|Dr. Arnie Abesacraben
|An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig
Affectionately referred to as "that little monkey guy" by many, Kevin is the most prized creation of Dr. Alphonse Mephesto and his constant companion and trusted assistant. Though he is quiet and unassuming, usually communicating via nothing more than grunts and gurgles, he is not only skilled with science, but well-trained in the arts. Being unusually hairy, the height of a four-year-old boy, and possessing an enormous penis by even adult standards, however, is what holds back this miracle of modern genetics from his true calling.
Legend has it that Kevin was the product of a collaboration between Mephesto and Dr. Arnie Abesacraben, a Greek fellow geneticist and researcher at the University of California-Davis. Hoping to create the perfect pop singer, they procured the semen of "Jack Michaelson" and an unknown female egg donor, and brought them to term inside of a llama mascot. The resulting child was taught everything about performing and enrolled in school, but bullying and banana-throwing lead by 'Big Roy' lead Kevin to biting the boys' three fingers off. Abesacraben was stripped of his credentials, and Kevin made a ward of the state.
Since then, he has been legally adopted by Dr. Mephesto, and they moved to Colorado to continue their genetic experiments in relative obscurity, but there are those who say at night, you can still hear an uncommonly sweet, golden singing voice bellow out across the town...
Personality and Traits
Attentive and Helpful
With minimal direction or prompting from his father, Kevin is often able to figure out exactly what to do to assist him in the laboratory, whether it's hand him a scalpel, using a hair driver to thaw something, or bring him a nice drink. Kevin seems genuinely interested in helping however he can.
- "I am gopher boy, pondering reality. I am gopher boy, who will buy my raspberries?" ("Mephisto and Kevin" song)
- "Mephisto and Kevin" [sic] from Chef Aid: The South Park Album
Design and Outfits
Kevin is a smaller than almost all recurring characters, with dark, tanned skin, dark hairs on his head and near his unusually large ears. He has dark gray eyebrows and a large mouth often in a neutral expression. Like his father, he wears a buttoned yellow Hawaiian shirt with colorful green, red, and blue flowers, and unremarkable brown pants.
Kevin lives with South Park's resident mad scientist, Dr. Mephesto, who helped co-create him, and serves as his legally adopted father, although he often refers to Kevin as his "friend" or "assistant". While this might otherwise imply distance, Mephesto is clearly fond of his creation, and the two are rarely apart. His relationship with Terrance has not been explored.
Although we've never met him in the show, Kevin was allegedly bullied in his youth by a boy named Big Roy, who threw bananas at him. Kevin eventually bit him in response.
Throughout all of his major appearances, Dr. Mephesto and his assistant Kevin have always been seen at the South Park Genetic Engineering Ranch, and never has a separate residence has never been suggested or depicted, so it has been assumed that they live in an unseen residential section of the laboratory.
Appearances and Sightings
- An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig (s01e05; debut)
- Starvin' Marvin (s01e08)
- Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut (s01e13; first identified as Kevin)
- Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut (s02e02)
- Prehistoric Ice Man (s02e18)
- Jakovasaurs (s03e05)
- Are You There God? It's Me, Jesus (s03e16)
- Cartman Joins NAMBLA (s04e06)
- Freak Strike (s06e01; cameo)
- Goobacks (s08e06; cameo)
- 201 (s14e06)
Although he does not play a role in the game, he appears during the character creation process wandering through his adoptive father's laboratory. He can also be seen in the card art for the Four-Assed Monkey.
Behind the Scenes
Like Mephesto himself, Kevin was also based on a character from the 1996 film adaption of The Island of Dr. Moreau, featuring Marlon Brando as the titular character. An assistant and surrogate son named Majai follows Moreau around throughout the film but speaks no lines of his own. Majai was played by Nelson de la Rosa, who became friendly with Brando during filming and sought a larger part for the actor.
- Like virtually all of the other men in South Park, and some of the women, he has had sexual relations with Liane Cartman... and was consequently a possible father for her son.
- Kevin is sometimes incorrectly rendered in promotional art and merchandise with white, Caucasian skin like Mephesto, but his skin is actually a slightly darker, tan color.
- Kevin's only audible sound in the series is his yelp when Eric Cartman enters the ranch in "201".
- Despite the presence of Dr. Alphonse Mephesto and his laboratory in "South Park: The Fractured But Whole", his familiar assistant is not seen nor mentioned.
Myths & Legends
- Kevin's backstory was revealed in the song "Mephesto and Kevin" by Primus, and was included on Chef Aid: The South Park Album, released during the second season. As it has not been contradicted by the show, we'll consider it canonical for now.
- At the time of the song's recording and release, the lyrics would have suggested Kevin was roughly eight to ten years old.