S24E01: "The Pandemic Special" postshow discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

S24E01: "The Pandemic Special" postshow discussion

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:28 am

Lots of callbacks tonight! :D Discuss!

Confirmed: Sharon and Jimbo are half-siblings (before, Randy and Jimbo were assumed to be half-brothers because they had a close friendship, the kind brothers normally enjoy, and he didn't hang out with Sharon that often)

Goddamnit Randy!
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
kfgg

Re: S24E01: "The Pandemic Special" postshow discussion

Postby kfgg » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:07 am

This was one that I watched more than once. They Tweeted “Put on your Chin Diaper and get ready for the west coast premiere of the #PandemicSpecial!” and I went to the DVR just to rewatch that scene because I found that term so funny.

It’s amazing how smooth it was overall if you consider the manner in which it was made.
Adam24

Postby Adam24 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:24 pm

I really enjoyed the episode. I thought it really gave a good extra backstory on the China episode from last season. Overall it was a great episode that highlighted all the stuff going on with the pandemic in a funny, over the top way.
Nyet

Postby Nyet » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:50 pm

They really sold out on this one - a big shame and not funny
I could tune in to CNN and had as much fun.
They either sold out or are woefully uninformed
Pity really
ScutCartaman

Postby ScutCartaman » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 pm

It redirects me to this page
"https://www.southpark.lat/episodes/yy0v ... on-24-ep-1" and says that the page does not exist, with a 404 error :x :x :x :x
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:24 pm

ScutCartaman wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 pm
"https://www.southpark.lat/episodes/yy0v ... on-24-ep-1" and says that the page does not exist, with a 404 error :x :x :x :x
Interestingly, that page works in the United States, as it redirects to https://southpark.cc.com/episodes/yy0vj ... on-24-ep-1. Some coder isn't doing this right.

triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:31 pm

What a ride! They managed to touch on just about everything from this year. Randy jerking off on his weed is about the funniest thing I've seen in in a while. Particularly with his pants around his ankles; just a nice touch. Before then, I thought for a second they were about to kill off JImbo.

I noticed the reversal of who was wearing masks properly after the the threat switch from regular corona to the Pandemic Special.
Death rolling through town on his tricycle; that's an ancient pull for this show. They don't directly reference season 1 very often.
Kenny's death went unacknowledged by any other character.
And poor Token gets shot again for bullsh*t reasons.
Great to see them slam Disney again. Few shows have the balls to really twist in the knife on that company.
The constant meta-commentary about if the Pandemic Special is a good idea or not; no doubt the SPS Staff thinking out loud about how this episode will be received.

It was the right balance of Fatass. His ode to a social distanced life was delightful and his selfish antics didn't go too far and piss me off. Then at the end, the unselfish act to help his friend; are you kidding me? Fatass does something nice for someone? With no ulterior motive? I'm with Kyle; it was genuinely surprising. The good deed was almost immediately in vane, but Stan's cool island song melted Fatass' icy heart.

This may be one of the most enjoyable season premieres in the history of the show. Welcome back, South Park. The next month or whatever will now be less sh*tty. ;)

You read it! You can't unread it!
Will_24

Postby Will_24 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:43 am

Wow, this was one of the best episodes that I've ever enjoyed!!! I knew at one point they would connect Randy selling weed to the Chinese to the COVIS-19 pandemic back in March btw. :D :lol:

Big-WIll quick question, since you're the moderator, is it 100% safe to confirm that this episode was a season premiere or just a stand-alone special?? I've been seeing a lot of debates with this recently.
DreamTheater9

Postby DreamTheater9 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:24 am

@Will_24
I think this is all the South Park we're getting this year.
DreamTheater9

Postby DreamTheater9 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:57 am

I think it's a reference to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, where the evil queen receives a box with the heart of a pig, thinking it's Snow White's.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:15 am

Will_24 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:43 am
Big-WIll quick question, since you're the moderator, is it 100% safe to confirm that this episode was a season premiere or just a stand-alone special?? I've been seeing a lot of debates with this recently.
Yes, it is 100& safe to confirm this. And we'll probably get four more specials this year. Yesterday's special took up the time of two regular episodes. You can expect the other four specials to air on
October 14
November 4 (this will cover Halloween and the election)
November 18
December 9

** These dates are by no means official. They're just what I conclude after noting the length of this special in this time of pandemic. **

ScutCartaman

Postby ScutCartaman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:20 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:24 pm
ScutCartaman wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 pm
Interestingly, that page works in the United States, as it redirects to https://southpark.cc.com/episodes/yy0vj ... on-24-ep-1. Some coder isn't doing this right.
Can you fix it?, I'm looking forward to seeing the new episode
Randy Marsh 2016

Postby Randy Marsh 2016 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:24 am

So on the schedule on the Comedy Central website, "Breast Cancer Show Ever" listed as a re-run on October 14, 2020 instead of a new episode. This fuels my speculation that there will be another big special, maybe for the 21st. This is because the first two weeks of this month don't have a new episode planned for them.

Then the next special will happen for November 11, 2020, giving them enough time to comment on the election results.

That would be two specials, therefore technically a block of four episodes. So they'd take a break from that, then they do a special for December 9.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 am

It's blowing my mind, the idea of an entire season of one hour episodes.

These are unusual times. :zombiekenny:

You read it! You can't unread it!
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:52 pm

I had been wondering what it would be like if they were given an hour instead of the half hour. In recent years it seems like there has not been enough time for everything in 30min.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”