S24E01: "The Pandemic Special" postshow discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Randy Marsh 2016

Re: S24E01: "The Pandemic Special" postshow discussion

Postby Randy Marsh 2016 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:49 pm

There won't be a new episode on the 21st. Instead "My Future Self N Me" is going to re-run at 10:00 PM that dsy.

Not sure when the next episode will be then. The 28th I'll assume. If not then I won't predict a specific date and just say November. It's exciting to see what will happen next.
Yogofi

Postby Yogofi » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:06 pm

My god can Randy finally get what he deserves? It pisses off so much that he gets away with all the bullsh*t over and over again. The Randy ride has gone too long to be really funny anymore. I hope he crashes and burns by the end of this Season if they really continue with the show.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:04 pm

Randy Marsh 2016 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:24 am
The next special will happen for November 11, 2020, giving them enough time to comment on the election results.
You just might be right. There's no immediate Election Day episode/special on November 4th. The Coon trilogy is on from 9:30-1100, So another week without a new episode/special.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
mario88

Postby mario88 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:11 pm

After the Pandemic Special, can we expect an election special? I sure hope so.
He is the record!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:26 pm

Not this week.

JOSHSKORN

Postby JOSHSKORN » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:05 am

Big-Will wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:26 pm
Not this week.
Dislike.

This second episode, if it'll ever happen...and I say that with uncertainty at this point, better be good. We've been waiting long enough for it. I like the idea of an election special, pre-, present-, and post-election. Now I'm wondering if Trump...er...Mr. Garrison will go back to being a tranny after losing the election. Eh, maybe not since that phase of Garrison has already been done. "Trump" could use some Tegridy, though.
voteto

Postby voteto » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:20 pm

Hello !

now Mr. Garrison is in finish line, 1st that i expect now, it's "election special"... in trilogy ! :lol:
SP_FAN765

Postby SP_FAN765 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:06 pm

I don't think they are making any episodes right now because of covid.
Every probably saw how thy made the pandemic special https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox1x-OzxRII
also when token got shot in the arm people thought on twitter it was "offensive".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BntsMM-hH-k
I hope they didn't cancel the show because I found some evidence :cry:
https://thebrag.com/south-park-sbs-canc ... r-23-years
But there is also evidence that they aren't making it bc of covid so idk
https://www.techradar.com/news/south-pa ... ows-future
https://stanfordartsreview.com/2021/01/ ... 1-updates/
Hopefully we will see more of season 24 once this whole pandemic is over :unhoodedkenny: :lol: :wink:
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:40 am

six days...

JVM

Postby JVM » Sat May 22, 2021 4:13 am

I've not watched a new South Park since November 2019, and went out of my way to remove some of my past posts here and elsewhere on the show... but I mentioned the special to my mom, and she wanted to watch it, and we don't have much in common, so we did this.

Analyzing the satire is... probably not worth it these days. I was educated to be critical of the media I consume and so it made me feel like I was making peace when I acknowledged narrative flaws and discussed them, but I don't imagine many people care what I think about what Trey thinks. This is not authoritative, my opinions are never supposed to be, but it seems like Stan might be standing in for Trey a bit. His main hobby is board games and the guys often seem kind of socially driven within their private circles, and it is often stressed that Matt is key to his support network, while the idea Matt needs Trey is almost never really discussed. I could see Matt being absolutely fine in quarantine and enjoying not being around people and Trey having trouble with it. I wouldn't be surprised if Cartman was a little Matt here.

The connection to "Band in China" was a bold move, and I had trouble figuring out how much of this was just leaning into absurdity. I did enjoy the sheer absurdity of it all, although I'm understanding now that I should probably be disgusted and angry that they depicted bestiality rather than finding it as some kind of humor. I've seen people on the internet do joke ships and get accused of horrible things in comparison. I still think it's like, wild to think they deliberately set the backstory of this episode during a last season episode. I don't understand why they never take this approach with the kids though but seem to do it casually with the adults. I think it's such a cool thing, yes, even when it's part of an extended masturbation joke. That said, I had trouble telling if the focus on China was any kind of commentary on the 'China/Wuhan virus' issue, particularly Randy calling the news 'racist', or whether it was just setup for the jokes about Randy.

The other main point of satire is the police - and I laughed at this a lot more than I wanted to. The show has never received enough credit for how well it has skewered the police, both acknowledging what a flawed system we have but also why getting rid of cops is excessive, and unfortunately I think it is their ability to accurately portray both sides on this issue that is why nobody credits them for it. We're back to Detective Harris and the primary officer's name has changed again, but he's still Mitch... but at this point, it seems like Trey just calls every cop 'Mitch' when he's playing Harris, who will no doubt be Harrison Yates sometime later. I loved them leveraging the Mayor into handing them their weapons back and showing up with actual f*cking tanks though, that was hilarious. Poor Token though.

A year or two after Ned's brush with death, we see one for Jimbo here. I think this was, actually, a solid creative choice - he's a significant character and close enough to our main characters that the emotion feels more natural than what happened with Ned, but also he's irrelevant enough that the risk feels a little real. The little photo compared to his bald, dying face is an excellent contrast to show how far he's fallen. It's an odd continuity snarl that he is now Sharon's brother, but it's been coming for a while given Randy's relationship to his father has been emphasized with no reference to another child. (Even though it'd make sense for a Vietnam Vet to have a 100something dad!) I don't mind, this was a fine compromise. I care about continuity but that doesn't mean I take it seriously. I do wish we'd got to see Jimbo partly back to his old self at the end, but I know in the vax episode he and Ned are fine. Kinda hope they can get one more episode before the show's run ends.

I didn't care about the background boy getting shot the f*ck up because since he's never had a name or identity it doesn't feel consequential in the way that Jason and so forth might, and from what I've heard he was fine in the later special. Kenny dying is always welcome and he's fine next week anyway. I wasn't afraid for Token since he's been saved from more certain death.

Red seems to get the last name McArthur in the background, but I'm not sure I buy it sticking. She's been 'Rebecca' and 'Bertha' before and they didn't keep it, and her parents are background adults, who get seen with various background kids a lot. I'm also just not crazy about the surname itself, but hey, if City Councilman Brownpants ends up being her dad, that could be a fun subversion compared to it having been Skeeter... though it also could've been cool if they'd confirmed that.

This is probably the last episode I'll have watched.
Official Wiki Moderator (2015 - 2019) :(
A dumb little request for any animators browsing here.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”