Comedy Central Labeled “Spirit of Christmas”

Can't seem to pick up that version of The Most Offensive Song Ever with just Mr. Hankey singing? Post your hopes and dreams here!

Moderator: Big-Will

MG2012

Comedy Central Labeled “Spirit of Christmas”

Postby MG2012 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:08 pm

I have a VHS from 1995 labeled on the box as Comedy Central and on the tape, South Park Spirit of Christmas. I’ve searched extensively for information and know the stories related to the shorts Trey and Matt produced in 1992 and 1995 but I cannot find any information on Comedy Central releasing an authorized VHS and not just people making copies of the 1995 “Christmas Card” of Jesus vs Santa. If there’s any information at all that anyone could provide, it’d be extremely helpful. Thanks!
MG2012

Re: Comedy Central Labeled “Spirit of Christmas”

Postby MG2012 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:39 pm

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (72.45 KiB) Viewed 169 times
inuyasha_demon

Postby inuyasha_demon » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:27 pm

There had been bootlegs of it going around years ago, and wonder if this is one of them. Either that, or perhaps the different version of Spirit of Christmas which had a more established setting.

Either way, keep that VHS in good shape!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:26 pm

There isn't much to say.

Comedy Central doesn't have much info on them because Matt and Trey were either in college (1992) or looking for someone to take their shorts and make something of them (1995). This is why copies of them are all over the Internet, and why there's no authorized release of them.
The South Park Scriptorium
The site itself is gone, but might return.

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
MG2012

Postby MG2012 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:53 pm

Thank you both! I know this definitely not from 1992, so it’s not Frosty vs Santa. It’s definitely from1995, which makes it Jesus vs Santa. Apparently Comedy Central actually made this and sent around, not for commercial release, in 1995, 2 years before the official debut.

Will definitely keep safely tucked away. Thanks again!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:33 pm

MG2012 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:53 pm
Thank you both! I know this definitely not from 1992, so it’s not Frosty vs Santa. It’s definitely from1995, which makes it Jesus vs Santa. Apparently Comedy Central actually made this and sent around, not for commercial release, in 1995, 2 years before the official debut.

Will definitely keep safely tucked away. Thanks again!
Uh, ...No.
1. It's "Jesus vs Frosty," not "Frosty vs. Santa."
2. Comedy Central didn't make "Jesus vs. Santa." Brian Graden, the boys' agent at the time, asked them to. Brian is the one who sent copies of the video out for Christmas 1995. Matt and Trey had no idea he was going to do this, so they didn't put their names on the Christmas card. They had no idea the video was leaked until someone told there a few months later about this awesome video going around and showed them the video. They recognized it as the Christmas card they had made.
3. You'll notice "Jesus vs. Santa" doesn't have any end credits attached to it, and the names in the opening credits are all fake.

Fun facts:
1. Comedy Central did commission the unaired pilot in 1997, when Matt and Trey were filming BASEketball, After the film wrapped up, Matt and Trey went to their new studio and spent Spring and Summer working on it. The pilot was four minutes too long, so Matt and Trey took out a few clips and put them in other episodes. What remained became "Cartman Gets An Anal Probe."
2. Contrary to popular belief, Comedy Central did air the unaired pilot... once, a few weeks before the show premiered.
3. There was an idea for "Jesus vs. Satan" which Matt and Trey would have made if the show had flopped in season 1. Instead, that became "Damien."
4. There could have been a fourth "Jesus vs." short or episode: "Jesus vs. God." As we know, that didn't happen. Instead, we got "Are You There, God? It's Me, Jesus."

And that VHS tape? That's not proof enough that Comedy Central made it. It shows that someone knows how to grab an image and a blank label and print the image on the label. Comedy Central was never so cheap as to have someone write out the label out after it's printed. I hope you didn't pay too much money to have that copy; otherwise, you were ripped off. People used to do that 25 years ago when the show first started, and copies of the shorts and the unaired pilot were hard to find and in crappy quality.
The South Park Scriptorium
The site itself is gone, but might return.

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version

Return to “Hard to find Audio/Video”