Why Do Fans Think Wendy and the Girls Wear Skirts/Dresses?

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

nwt000

Why Do Fans Think Wendy and the Girls Wear Skirts/Dresses?

Postby nwt000 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:29 pm

I am so puzzled by why so many fanartist think Wendy, Bebe, Red, Annie, Lola, Heidi, Millie, Sally (Turner), Esther, Lizzy, Nelly, Kal and any of the other girls all wear skirts/dresses. The only vaugely important 4th grade girls on South Park who wear a skirt or a dress are Sally Darson from Butters' Bottom Bitch, Shawna from Erection Day, and Patty Nelson from Le Petit Tourette. Also some background girls may wear skirts or dresses, but the dozen girls aformentioned and most of the other 4th grade girls all wear pants. That would include minor characters such as Kelly from Rainforest Schmainforest, Rebecca Cotswold from Hooked on Monkey Phonics, and Nancy from Up the Down Steroid. For example, our own JVM still commonly portrays Wendy wearing a skirt even though it is proven that Wendy wears pants. Here is a couple of clips that prove that the girls wear pants:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155927/if-it-pleases-and-sparkles
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/210217/everyone-is-special
And here is a proving picture:
So I ask this question; if the girls obviously wear pants, why do you, the fanartists and fanwriters, always portray them in dresses and skirts? I'm sure Wendy would probably be pissed with the fanartists and fanwriters if she found out that they kept on putting her in skirts/dresses. The little feminist she is, she would define it as sexist. Overall, with the exception of Bebe, who does wear a nightgown to bed, I don't really think that the girls of South Park, Colorado like to wear dresses or skirts, especially Red, Annie, Millie, and Sally (Turner), who I think could be tomboys.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Why Do Fans Think Wendy and the Girls Wear Skirts/Dresse

Postby Big-Will » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Those aren't fans.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Big-Will wrote:Those aren't fans.

Good point Big-Will, because they don't follow canon policies.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:06 pm

I'd surmise they're more interested in making cartoon 8-year-old girls look prettier. :tweek:

But if you discounted every "fan" "artist" (and I use the terms loosely) who drew the characters not as they appear in the show, there wouldn't be much left.

That's the purpose of fan art in the first place, though I wouldn't know personally, to give these very basic character designs more life and an added dimension. Of course, that's purely in the artist's mind. If the SP kids were any simpler in design, they'd be smiley faces on top of stick figures.
Scotland

Postby Scotland » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:18 pm

You should be more concerned of them portraying the kids as sexually frustrated teenagers.

When I did horrible fan art years ago, I always did Wendy in trousers, cause that what she wore.
Yeah! So I did! I wanna just smiling!
JVM

Postby JVM » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:46 am

Thank you. I appreciate that.

I wouldn't say I "regularly" portray Wendy in a skirt. It's an issue I've gone both ways with. Generally they look like trousers, but mind you, South Park's drawing style isn't exactly the most detailed. You can't really tell a difference between sweatpants, khakis and jeans.

I actually used pants for the longest time and stopped because I felt it was getting more and more redundant to describe each and every single character in <color> pants.
Official Wiki Moderator
South Park is a platform for Matt and Trey's social commentary and satire; there is no canon and these characters only serve as tools for self-expression. Don't get attached.
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:14 pm

JVM wrote:

Thank you. I appreciate that.

I wouldn't say I "regularly" portray Wendy in a skirt. It's an issue I've gone both ways with. Generally they look like trousers, but mind you, South Park's drawing style isn't exactly the most detailed. You can't really tell a difference between sweatpants, khakis and jeans.

I actually used pants for the longest time and stopped because I felt it was getting more and more redundant to describe each and every single character in <color> pants.

There is a way to determine if a girl on South Park is wearking pans or a skirt though. Take for example Wendy and Red, who wear pants. First look at Clyde.
Now compare him to Wendy.
It's really obvious that Wendy is wearing pants just like Clyde.
Now look at the girl with the pink sweater.
It's shown here that this girl wears a skirt. Wendy, on the other hand has worn pants in every scene in every episode with the exception of "Hellen Keller! The Musical" and a scene each in "Tom's Rhinoplasty" and "Follow That Egg!". Pretty much all of the girls except Bebe wear pants to bed as well. In contrast to most of her peers, Bebe wears a nightgown. That brings me to my next question. Why do all of the adult women except for Carol McCormick wear nightgowns? I guess it's because most of the adult women wear skirts/dresses, unlike the girls. But I don't quite understand why Sharon Marsh and Liane Cartman wear nightgowns though.
Last edited by nwt000 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:05 pm

...nightgowns? As in, they look like they're ready for bed?

BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:31 pm

In most of the scenes where Liane is in her sleep attire, it looks like she's wearing a robe. Sharon tends to go more with the overly long t-shirt as many ladies do. I don't remember what Kenny's mom wears, nor Kyle's.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Kenny's mom usually wears pants and a shirt without a collar. Sheila wears a power suit (think Hilary Clinton).

nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Just another thing about the girls wearing skirts/dresses, Bebe wore a skirt/dress in "Do the Handicapped Go To Hell?", "Hellen Keller! The Musical", "Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society" (nightgown), "Douche and Turd (cheerleading outfit), "Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset" (as a whore), and "Marjorine" (nightgown). Red on the other hand only wore skirts in "Douche and Turd" (cheerleading outfit) and "Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset" (as a whore). Other than that, they, Wendy, and they other girls that usually sit at the lunch table have never worn skirts/dresses with the exception of the aforementioned 808 and 812. In fact, Lola and Millie have never worn skirts/dresses.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:34 am

Big-Will wrote:Kenny's mom usually wears pants and a shirt without a collar. Sheila wears a power suit (think Hilary Clinton).

Well yeah, but the convo was heading toward sleepwear for a little bit there.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:48 am

EDIT:

I overreacted to the discussion. Sry guys.
Last edited by Pip Tweek on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:50 am

Pip Tweek wrote:Ask yourself "does it really matter that much?"

No. But it's a timewaste, so :/ I'm trying to stay away from the creepier parts m'self.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:04 am

BRMBug wrote:
Pip Tweek wrote:Ask yourself "does it really matter that much?"

No. But it's a timewaste, so :/ I'm trying to stay away from the creepier parts m'self.

Edit: Carry on.
Last edited by Pip Tweek on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Character Discussion”