WE NEED ASSBURGERS

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

lordhog

Re: WE NEED ASSBURGERS

Postby lordhog » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:58 pm

Back when i were 17, my mother got the crazy idea that i for some reason had asperger. So she got some spin doctor to come to my house, and he talked to me for like 20minutes, before he came to the conclusion that there was no doubt that i had asperger.

Over the next months, i was offered my own place, paid for by welfare money. I would also get some social worker to visit me every day, make food for me and clean my apartment, i could live off welfare money and best of all: I could say whatever the hell i wanted to people and blame it on asperger ("I got no social intelligence, i didnt know it would hurt your feelings.. bitch!")

I went to a real doctor to get the diagnosis removed as soon as i turned 18 (turns out it was just a strong case of ADHD.. which i were diagnosed with back when i were 12) because i didnt want anything handed to me over a bogus diagnosis, and i wanted to face life on the same terms as everyone else (besides, chicks dont really dig guys living off welfare money), but i could easily imagine Cartman seeing things completely different.

Would make a good point too, misdiagnosing can be incredibly dangerous. This happened when i were 17, so i read up on asperger, and realised that i had no more of the symptoms than any other intelligent young boy, so i laughed at it and dismissed it.
If however, some psychiatrist had come to me when i where 12, and told me that i would struggle to ever get friends, a proper job or fit into society, (which is pretty much what i were told) i might believe it. Just imagine how that would affect my life, if i actually started to believe i would never get new friends or get a proper girlfriend.
Because if you are led to believe you have a diagnosis from a very young age, even if its just bullsh*t, you might start acting according to it for the rest of your life, and for a social/party animal like me that would be totally devastating.

Now this was a long, totally uneccessary story, but its true, so i were bored and felt like sharing it. Thank you for reading the whole thing. :)
(Btw, assburger is such a cool word, its worth an episode all by itself)
SPC

Postby SPC » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:44 am

I have a mostly mild case but on occasions it gets bad. Other times I can lock it away and be social. All of the "special assisstance" that I got during school primarily middle school I fought it tooth and nail proving to every one that I should be treated as every one else is treated.

A charactor with assburgers would be difficult to succesfully create.
Twins I[status:chapters 1 and 2 are up more coming]
inaugurated

Postby inaugurated » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:20 pm

As an Assburger (:P) myself, I could definitely see one in South Park with the social paranoia and not knowing how to act and all. He could be friends with Tweek:)
If I look at myself, I see a lot of characteristics with can be made fun of. They could follow the character in a 1st person perspective, since most of the weirdness is not noticeable on the outside.
The Silver Banana

Postby The Silver Banana » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:57 am

OK, I came up with a long story about the kind of life a kid like that might have... based, of course, on how Asperger's syndrome f**ked my childhood. (Yes, I'm a Jew chick with an older sister and Asperger's syndrome; it's like South Park was made for me.) It's too long to fit in a single post, and if I put it up, no one would read it.

The thing is just too darn long. It would take at least a whole season to get through it. And even if it were somehow made funny, it would offend someone, because the kid would just get screwed over, never really getting a moment of fulfillment. Heck, they'd hardly get any relief.

I have never once seen a story of an Asperger's kid growing up, fitting in, finding an enjoyable occupation, making friends, even getting a boyfriend or girlfriend and having a happy marriage. It's like that kind of life isn't even a possibility for us. We're just there, and we're pathetic, and then we're gone. No closure. The moral of it would be lost, if there is one, because you'd just be left with a hollow feeling if you had to watch it. The whole thing would be just plain sad.

That's essentially what Asperger's is: just plain sad. I suppose it has to be acknowledged by society eventually, but not by South Park.

Unless that kid somehow managed to have a mutual relationship with Butters.

Postby SPC » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:13 am

sooo that makes four of us? Ive also noticed the bigger the group of say friends the harder its for some one with aspburgers to cmmunicate with said group.

I agree with above post thar people with aspburgers just feel like their there and thats it
The Silver Banana

Postby The Silver Banana » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:11 am

Uh, sorry for waffling, but I've got it. I know how to work the kid in and have that kid be happier by the end of the episode. First, have Cartman temporarily transfer to special ed school. Then, spend several scenes ripping on the aspie kid (possibly without the kid knowing about the diagnosis because they were too young when they got it, making the Assburger comments even more frustrating). Finally, once he/she gets it, make that kid trick Cartman into licking his/her :assface: and getting it on yootoob. Cartman's rep at the school is ruined, kid gets little more public humiliation than usual and is sort of proud of it, and have it turn out that the :assface: didn't taste like beef. It was actually tofu. (Ah, South Park.)

If it seems like the kid could be popular, or at least useful as a side character, have that kid transfer at the end, after the kid explains to his/her parents that no matter how much humiliation he/she gets in public school, they'd still get it in special ed school from the kids who were sent there for being total dicks. The kid should go to public school, pick up normal habits, not have to compare himself/herself to the learning challenged kids, and watch as the bullying starts to dwindle as he/she and the other kids mature. Or as the season progresses.

And if that doesn't do it for you, recycle Kip Drordy. It would explain a lot.

Postby SPC » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:15 am

this gets me thinking how many people have aspergers
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:19 am

a lot! :shock:

In fact, I can tell you their are at least 5 people in this forum who are on fairly occasionally that have it.

I'm one of them. I honestly don't like the "Assburger" joke, it's getting old. As well as all the people who think we are just stuck up smart asses, who get everything handed to us. Let me tell ya, life has been difficult. I don't like being depressed all the time, or being this anxious nervous. Sure I'm smart, but then again this does have MANY drawbacks. I wish people would just realize this that's all.

Btw: If any SP character has Aspergers, it's definitely Butters. :roll:
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:13 am

kfgg wrote:Please no. I'm not against it. But its over diagnosed like ADD. Many p0eople think its a joke, doesn't exist. The fact that its over diagnosed is probably a reason.

In all reality, its not fun. At all. Its not as bad as OCD (OCD is living hell) but its not easy. I've been putting up with it all my life. You're OK till you hit middle-high school. Then you're just an absolute nightmare socially, mentally. I'm 23 and i'm the definition of a loser. I'm on disability. I cannot socialize with anybody.

15 years ago I never thought this is what I would grow up to be. Others have better luck.

If they did about it, fine. I wouldn't mind. I'd probably love it. But I don't see the reason for it.

:(

Makes me sad to read this.

Good luck with your future.

The Silver Banana wrote:OK, I came up with a long story about the kind of life a kid like that might have... based, of course, on how Asperger's syndrome f**ked my childhood. (Yes, I'm a Jew chick with an older sister and Asperger's syndrome; it's like South Park was made for me.) It's too long to fit in a single post, and if I put it up, no one would read it.

If it's any consolation...I like reading your posts.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
SPC

Postby SPC » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:20 pm

I have kept the fact that I have asperergers a secret form my friends so their perception of me doesnt change or think anything lesser of me anyone else felt it necessary to do that here?
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:56 pm

I think Asperger's Syndrome is just a polite term to describe someone who sucks at socializing.

So I guess I have it, too.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
SPC

Postby SPC » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:41 pm

there is a list of symptoms two being eye contact and one sided conversation. I show all of the symptoms to a T
PanFlute

Postby PanFlute » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:52 pm

WHY NOT :)
If you see a Peruvian Flute Band:
---------------------------------------------------
● Do not approach it
● Mark down the Flute Band's location
● DO NOY buy their Cds

---------------------------------------------------
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Brendle wrote:I think Asperger's Syndrome is just a polite term to describe someone who sucks at socializing.

Yeah, but don't get too caught up in it- Asperger's is over-diagnosed. I was convinced I had it for a little while, but now I realize that I actually have a mix of OCD and a "loner" personality. You should look into it a bit if you think you might have it, to find out whether or not you do.

Now, onto the topic- I don't really see a need. I don't know, it just doesn't seem like an entertaining idea to me.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:45 am

Brendle wrote:I think Asperger's Syndrome is just a polite term to describe someone who sucks at socializing.

Give me a break. People diagnosed with it have certain traits and characterizations that separate them from people who just plain "suck at socializing". They generally have higher-than-average IQs, most have a fascination with vehicles such as cars, trains, or boats, they're usually very organized, and they tend to focus their attention on arcane subjects or details. I was diagnosed with it in 1991, and I have all these traits. While I didn't socialize as much as the other kids when I was in my early school years, by high school I was leading a very healthy, normal social life which continues today. Maybe I'm one of the estimated 30-40% of people whose social aspects of Asperger's disappear almost completely over time, but the rest of my Asperger-related quirks are still present and strong as they ever were.

To quote an article which highlights the most common interests among people with Asperger's, I can safely point out that over time, especially in my younger years, I've developed a fascination with much of the following, which I've highlighted:

•animals and nature: This often starts with a fascination for dinosaurs and may end up with expert knowledge about animal or insect groups such as spiders or snakes
•technical and scientific interests: This group covers computers, vehicles [cars], trains, aircraft and ships. On the scientific side, interest may be shown in volcanoes, astronomy, mathematics and numbers, chemistry and the periodic table, and the weather
•public transport systems: The person may know every station in a subway system or travel around to visit old rail collections

It's not just a term for people who have a harder time making friends. I never had less than 3 close friends at any point in my life, and now I'm up to about 12, whom I regularly hang out and socialize with.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”