BASEketball

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

J Sin

BASEketball

Postby J Sin » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:57 am

BASEketball has basically been my favorite movie ever since it came out when i was in grade school. That doesn't matter though since i just noticed something I don't think anyone has ever said about the movie. I don't know how it took me over 20 years to realize this,but a big part of the movie is a parody of Major League 2. In Major League 2 the Wild Thing Ricky Vaughn has a thing for Nicki Reese who is in charge of a foster care business. In BASEketball Coop Cooper has a thing for Jenna Reed who is in charge of a foster care business, but with the kids having disabilities because it's the writers of South Park. In both movies the women feel like they hate the stars before their big moment to shine in their sport, but the kids talk them into going to their respective games anyway. In both movies the love interest and her foster kids show up super late just in time to see the big win, and they end up hooking up with the athlete. I watched Major League 2 so many times before BASEketball was even a movie and have seen both so many times, I can't believe I just put this together. If anyone reads this, I'd be interested in any opinions.
triplemultiplex

Re: BASEketball

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:55 am

Oh it's not just Major League 2, it's a sports movie trope: the girlfriend who's not into the star player's ego at first, but then he somehow redeems himself and wins her over.
Hell, that was Jake's arc in the first Major League movie. Or the coach in Mighty Ducks. Or Mr. Dawson's Creek in Varsity Blues. The most iconic baseball movie: The Natural. Even the Will Farrell/Napoleon Dynamite vehicle Blades of Glory exploits this trope.
It was ripe for parody and they knocked it out of the part in Baseketball.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”